Seoul International School is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and a registered member of the East Asian Regional Council of Schools (EARCOS).
The Accrediting Commission for Schools, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACS WASC), an international accrediting association and one of the six regional accrediting agencies in the United States, works closely with the Office of Overseas Schools under the U.S. Department of State. ACS WASC provides assistance to schools worldwide, primarily in California, Hawaii, Guam, Asia, the Pacific Region, the Middle East, Africa, and Europe.
Through their evaluation of institutions, accreditation assures the educational community, the general public, and other organizations and agencies that an institution has clearly defined objectives appropriate to education; has established conditions under which their achievement can reasonably be expected.
Importance of Accreditation
- Assures a school community that the school’s purposes are appropriate and being accomplished through a viable education program — a trustworthy institution for student learning
- Validates the integrity of the school’s program and transcripts
- Facilitates transfer of credits to other English-speaking schools — critical for college/university acceptance worldwide
- Fosters the ongoing improvement of the school’s programs and operations to support student learning
- Provides valuable insight from fellow educators visiting the school
Accreditation at SIS
Seoul International School has been continuously accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) since 1979. Since that time, every six years, SIS conducts a self-study culminating in the ongoing refinement of its schoolwide action plans and demonstrates evidence of acceptable student and school improvement.
As a WASC accredited school, SIS' primary goal is to ensure successful learning while maintaining a clear purpose focused on schoolwide learner outcomes. Our accreditation is integral to improvement through a perpetual cycle of assessment, planning, implementation, monitoring, and self-reflection.
The accreditation process involves a thorough self-study and external examination of established criteria (set forth by WASC's accrediting commission) through the creation and review of appropriate reports and collection of evidence. These criteria include:
- Organization for Student Learning;
- Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment;
- Support for Student Personal and Academic Growth;
- and School Culture and Environment
SIS' curricular and extracurricular programs and services aim to meet internally created and WASC supported school-improvement goals, and are designed to ensure consistent, quality learning experiences for all students. SIS' continued accreditation has assured a purposeful school community, a viable education program, and a trustworthy institution.
Finally, accreditation through WASC allows colleges and universities to understand that SIS provides a worthy educational background for student candidates for admission